Friday, January 23, 2009

A Cinderella Story...Holly Madison



Meet Holly Madison.
Thin
Blond.
Tan.
Want more info? Great just go to Wikipedia, and you will find that in addition to her basic statistics of height, hair color, and eye color, there is also a blurb for "Measurements."
So...
Measurements: 36D-23-36

Now look up Barbara Walters. Where are her measurements, huh?!

Needless to say, Holly Madison is a star on the E! hit TV show, "The Girls Next Door." The "girls" are the acclaimed Playboy Bunnies in Hugh Hefner's mansion. I've seen the show a few times, and I won't lie, there are parts that are slightly humorous, and I may or may not have sat for an hour or so watching repeated episodes.

I always ask myself, though, what is it that brings these girls to get on this show? Why would a girl become a Playboy bunny? Where do they even go to do such a thing?

Madison's background, however, is interesting. She grew up in a lower-middle class family in Oregon, and her father constantly traveled, as he worked for the timber industry. When the time came for her to go to college, she competed in a bikini competition and worked at Hooters to earn money, as she, on her own, could not afford to go.

It was here that Playboy took notice. They asked her to join the mansion, an accepting group that would welcome her.

Over time, though, as Holly earned fame, she decided to get a nose job. After that, a breast augmentation. She speaks openly about her "adjustments," but it is all just to fit in.

Here is where my point lies. Women (and men) struggle to fit the perfect mold of what it is to be aesthetically pleasing in society. For nearly as long as I can remember, I will look in a mirror and glance at my thighs, skin, hair-- anything-- and wish that it looked different in some way.

Cinderella's are everywhere. Holly Madison did not grow up with a great amount of money, but the mansion accepted her. Is she truly happy, though, with a geriatric Hugh Hefner glued to her hip? Is he her prince?

1 comment:

  1. You know what's funny?

    I've often wondered the same thing.

    Granted, I'm a guy.

    ReplyDelete