Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mary Wollstonecraft

It is interesting, really. When I was younger, I guess I did think of me, being a girl, as being the weaker sex. I remember during P.E., girls would have dance two days a week, while the boys, with the absence of the girls, would play football and baseball. Whenever the girls and boys played together, we would play gender-neutral games like freeze tag and four square and soccer. I never really thought much of it; I was never jealous of the boys or anything. I remember the girls would have one dance recital per semester, and when the boys would watch us, they would jeer and hoot at us and mock us. We didn't think anything of it; we were all about six years old. Boys played football, girls took dance lessons.

The more I think about it, though, the more I realize how much gender segregation there is at such a young age, and young children do not really notice it. Now, as I've gotten older and learned more, I am more attuned to things like this.

I enjoyed reading Mary Wollstonecraft's "The Rights of a Woman" because I felt that it spoke to many of these points that I have observed over the years.

1 comment:

  1. I love four square!

    I'm a tiny dude, I played football for my middle school.

    We also had a girl on the team.

    She was awesome.

    ReplyDelete