Sunday, April 5, 2009

What's Art? Who is Judging?


Confidence. It's one simple word that can give someone so much, or it can take away the world from right under their feet. Throughout my twenty-one years on this earth, I'd say one of the biggest lessons I've learned was the importance of confidence. Confidence is not something that is easy to acquire, but rather it is like the giant trophy at the end of a long and tedious journey.

Now I am a junior in college, and I, as well as my parents, can see a drastic change in me now from the person I was in high school. The real change is confidence. I have accomplished graduating from high school, being accepted into a decent university, living on my own, making my own friends, etc. There are so many little things in life that attribute to one's confidence.

An interesting point that Jeanette Winterson discusses, however, is how peoples' personal art work (or whatever talent-based work that may be) is judged by the outside. Sometimes I'll look at an abstract painting and say to myself, "I could do this! Hell, my dog could do this!" Yet, I'll read the accolades from the piece and it is considered to be one of the world's finest creations-- a must see! Well, who says this? Who gives this piece such status? Mentally, I just imagine some panel of wigged judges standing behind podiums and voting Parliament- style.

I think it is interesting to discuss these points dissect the canon of literature and art. The interesting thing about these two mediums is that neither can be proven true or false, so who is judging? Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with confidence and how one presents himself to the public about his talent. Confidence is key.

I was personally very touched by the youtube video we watched in class with all the different street performers singing 'Stand by Me.' I forwarded the link to my parents, and they loved it as well. What's interesting is that none of these people had money, so it's not like they could have 'bought' their way to fame. They were strictly "judged" on talent, and I think that that's awesome. They had confidence in what they did, and it showed. They were proud of their talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment