Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Who is anti-left and anti-right? The left and the right are the others opinions of what "Great Art" is. There is the "canon," and that is a comfort zone to many of us. We think about the "lefty intellectuals," who have a tendancy to dismantle any other opposing view. Howard is an example of this in "On Beauty." These people, in essence, are simply mimicking the words of our past. There is nothing creative on their part.

I was fascinated by the "Creative Writing" scandal in the book. It really does make a comment on the university as a whole. It is interesting how one person could manipulate one individual on behalf of her father's affair. There is such pressure to get grades and authority, and there is so much jugdement on each and every student. It really does interfere with beauty because our minds are so cluttered by the establishment. Universities, in my opinion, do not defend beauty.

I really like the analogy we are using right now. Do we want the 'A' doctor or the 'C' doctor. Sometimes the A doctor can be a sleazy creature, but the C doctor can be a better person. In many cases, the grades do not mandate a better teacher. The same is true in undergrad, I believe. I may not make straight A's, but I feel that I sometimes learn more and benefit more than those kids who are "naturally gifted" (as my mother dubbed them when I was in elementary school.) I know many people who don't get the best grades, but they are good, honest people.

No comments:

Post a Comment